As an academic school, our aim is to prepare pupils for university life and beyond. Good grades at GCSE and A level are supplemented by the many other opportunities to ensure pupils flourish and are well suited to life beyond school. Abbotsholme was founded on the belief that what happens outside the classroom is as crucial in contributing to education as what happens within it. We have held true to our founder’s, legacy with our co-curriculum being one of the most extensive and enriching in the world.
In our co-curricular activities, we work with similar dedication to provide opportunities for pupils to develop life skills and lifelong interests. The Curriculum and Co-curriculum work in balance with each other, allowing pupils to benefit from both aspects of Abbotsholme’s educational ethos. Our pupils have the opportunity to try a wide variety of activities which have a profound impact on them, enabling them to develop confidence, self-awareness, self-sufficiency, self-respect, determination, social skills, leadership and courage.
Abbotsholme’s co-curricular programme includes:
- A unique programme of Abbotsholme Expectations (AXs), a variety of life skills.
- On Wednesday afternoons, a comprehensive programme of activities which pupils choose from, which do not just include your traditional sports.
- A structured programme of weekend activities, including induction weekends for Years 7 and 12, adventurous outdoor trips, cultural visits and leisure activities.
- Lunchtime clubs and evening activities, including musical groups, drama productions and sports team practices.
- Outdoor Education in timetabled lessons, in Years 7-9. All pupils do this for one afternoon per fortnight, alternating with our Abbotsholme Enrichment Programme, which includes horse riding, conservation work, farming, drama, cookery and PHSE and the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme, with the majority of our pupils achieving awards up to Gold level.
Our programmes are supported by some superb facilities, such as our theatre, an indoor climbing wall, sports centre, school farm and equestrian centre.
The diversity and extent of our programmes means that there really is something for everyone; each pupil can find something that fires and excites them and enables them to shine and grow, developing respect for themselves and the respect of others.