Pupils from overseas are a valued part of the Abbotsholme community
Klicken Sie auf Ihre Flagge oben, um mehr in Ihrer Sprache!
Cliquez sur le drapeau ci-dessus pour en savoir plus dans votre langue!
Haga clic en la bandera de arriba para obtener más información en su idioma!
Нажмите на баннер выше за дополнительной информацией на русском языке!
Admissions for September 2016
Overseas pupils are fully integrated into school life. Non-native speakers are offered language support throughout their time at Abbotsholme. There are regular excursions focusing on exposure to British culture, as well as meetings with overseas students from neighbouring schools.
The IGCSE in English as a Second Language is offered to foreign students entering Years 10 and 11. Those entering the Sixth Form are coached for the IELTS exam in Academic English.
All Abbotsholme students are fully supported throughout the University application process. In the last three years, of our foreign students wishing to study at university level in an English-speaking country, 100% were accepted and took up their chosen degree course. This year our EAL students have taken up places in universities across the United Kingdom and in Australia.
We also have an International flier which you can download here and a brand new International brochure which you can look through here.
Where is Abbotsholme School? Click here to find us on the map!
We accept overseas pupils from all countries from age nine upwards if the pupil is wanting to board. Pupils will be allocated into a year group relevant to their age.
Pupils looking to do GCSE or A Level at Abbotsholme have two options at each level.
- GCSE - we run a Pre-GCSE course (3 years) and full GCSE course (2 years). This will allow a pupil considering GCSE to come a year early to perfect their English ready to continue to do GCSEs at Abbotsholme. We do not run the Pre-GCSE course as a one year course on its own. The pupil will go into Year 9, with his or her peer group which he or she would get to know over the year through activities, tutor groups, trips and some lessons, but rather than do all the lessons of a Year 9 pupil, the pupil would concentrate mainly on learning and perfecting English ready for the Year 2 of the three year course, and the start of the GCSEs.
- A Level - we run a Pre-A Level course (3 years) and full A Level course (2 years). This will allow a pupil considering A Level to come a year early to perfect their English ready to continue to do A Levelss at Abbotsholme. We do not run the Pre- A Level course as a one year course on its own. The pupil will go into Year 11, with his or her peer group which he or she would get to know over the year through activities, tutor groups, trips and some lessons, but rather than do all the lessons of a Year 11 pupil, the pupil would concentrate mainly on learning and perfecting English ready for the Year 2 of the three year course, and the start of the A Levels.
You can read about the admissions process into Abbotsholme in a step by step chart which you can download here.
Overseas pupils wishing to progress through the admissions process to gain a place at Abbotsholme School must complete and send in the following documents:
- A hand written or typed English essay by your child / client’s child of 500 words about him / her and his / her interests;
- A reference from a teacher at your child / clients child's current school. We do not have a template to give you for this and just ask that a letter is completed on your child / clients child's behaviour, ability and conduct within the school;
- Last two year’s school reports and exam results of your child / client’s child;
- A copy of your child / clients child’s passport (for Non EU pupils);
- Pupils applying for a place and are between 11 and 14 must at least have CEFR A1 level for entry; pupils between 14 and 16 must have CEFR A2 level, and pupils aged between 16 and 18 must have CEFR B1 level;
- A completed registration form which can be downloaded here
The admissions team also require a Skype interview with the child / clients child, or for the family to visit Abbotsholme.
Following this, the admissions team will confirm whether you have a place and will then ask your child / your clients' child to complete an Online English Test which can be completed within your child's school or at your agent's office. We will send you an individual number, and information on how to complete the test. This will give us a clear idea of your child / clients child's level of English within the Common European Framework of Reference.
For non - EU Pupils, the Admissions team will produce, from the information above, a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement for you to organise a Visa for your child / clients child. Visa’s can only be applied for three months prior to entering the UK. Please click here to find information on applying for a Visa.
Fee charges for pupils staying for one or two terms only
Our fees our based on annual fees broken down into three equal amounts for each term in the academic year for ease of payment. However the terms are all of a different length with the Autumn term generally being longer that the Spring and Summer terms. Therefore pupils staying for one term only throughout the academic year will be charged a fee that is representative of the number of weeks within that term. Pupils staying for two terms or a year only will be charged the normal termly fees.
For further information, please contact our admissions office: Tel: +44 (0) 1889 594265 or firstname.lastname@example.org